Roadmap 2023

Josef Söntgen josef.soentgen at genode-labs.com
Fri Jan 6 10:04:48 CET 2023

Hello Norman,

> This also makes me hopeful for the next round of an update of the
> DDE-Linux PC drivers, which should be definite part of our road map.

We could also think about replacing iPXE with an DDE Linux-based driver
component.

> Given your invaluable contribution to the PinePhone topic - speaking of
> camera, GPU, and audio - your further engagement in these areas would be
> very welcome as well.

That is what I summarized under “project work” ☺.

Of course I have some basic ideas concering the PinePhone (like having
an eBook reader component - an updated MuPDF would fit the bill, or having
an audio player where I already tinkered with LVGL as an interface for
the 'audio_player' component) but hopefully I will manage to work an these
a long the line.

> The other two topics mentioned (NVMe and AMD) leave me a bit uncertain
> regarding the road map. I already expressed my weariness regarding AMD
> in my reply to Alex, and I must confess my lack the expertise about
> NVMe.

AMD support is more on the personal side of things, so I do not expect
it to appear on the roadmap.

> How would you describe the practical benefits of the mentioned NVMe
> features for Genode users at large, for advertising them on the road
> map?

Again, it focuses on my personal use-case where I use multiple VMs that
directly access the NVMe device (via 'part_block' of course) as storage
backend (as such devices are able to make use of serveral I/O submission
and completion queues and naturally feature MSI(-X) support one could
exploit that for perfomance optimizations like minimizing cross-core
IPC, handling clients in a disjunct fashion etc). Of course changing
the driver component is only (arguebly) a small part as there are more
parties involved (libc, VFS, kernel).

Maybe the over all theme could be “Optimized I/O for <inserthere>” as
that would probably fall in line with the VFS renovations.

Regards
Josef

--
Josef Söntgen