Announcement: Genode OS Framework version 23.02 released

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Tue Feb 28 15:40:14 CET 2023

I am happy to announce the release of Genode version 23.02.

   https://genode.org/documentation/release-notes/23.02

With this release, the underpinnings of the recently published first
Sculpt image for the PinePhone - like the system-update mechanism and
many I/O optimizations - have become part of the regular framework. But
the phone is only one among many devices addressed by the new version.
For Xilinx Zynq, which lacks an IOMMU, we crafted a custom IP core to
attain DMA protection for Genode. For ARMv8, we extended our virtual
machine monitor with the device models needed for running regular
graphical Linux distributions. And for PCs, the principle kernel
mechanism for suspend/resume has become available our custom base-hw
microkernel in addition to NOVA. Also the extension of the Goa tool with
library support by Pirmin Duss - as discussed recently on this mailing
list [1] - made it into the release.

As usual, the above summary is merely the tip of the iceberg. The
highlights at a glance:

- First system image of mobile Sculpt OS (PinePhone)
- Interactive graphical VMs on ARM
- Custom IP block for DMA protection on AMD/Xilinx Zynq
- Optimized GPU and VFS performance
- On-target system-update and rollback mechanism
- Device-driver improvements for NXP i.MX (USB-C, network)
- Distinction of Intel P&E cores on the NOVA kernel
- Suspend/resume and improved scheduling for the base-hw kernel
- Streamlined work flow for building and publishing libraries

The full details are covered by the official release documentation:

   https://genode.org/documentation/release-notes/23.02

Have fun with exploring the new version!

[1] https://lists.genode.org/pipermail/users/2023-January/008181.html