Roadmap 2024

Jean-Philippe Ouellet jpo at vt.edu
Sun Dec 31 23:23:19 CET 2023

On Sat, Dec 30, 2023, 5:13 PM Ivan Loskutov <loskutov.ivan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Norman and Genodians,
>
> I want to share my plans for the first time.
> In 2024, I plan to finally start using Sculpt OS. The only thing
> keeping me is the dependency on some familiar Linux software. I would
> like to have a headless virtual machine with Linux, and to have Linux
> applications as native Nitpicker windows, to experience something
> similar to Qubes OS. I already have an early prototype working on
> Genode Linux, forwarding windows from the host system (see short video
> [1]). However, there's still a lot to be done before publishing.
> This is my plan for the year 2024.
>
> [1] https://vanner.me/genode_wayland.mp4
>
> --
> Best Regards
> Ivan Loskutov

I usually keep quiet around here, and was intending to do so now as
well, but this is too exciting.

This annual thread is one I always look forward to and which reliably
brings me quite some joy to read. This year is no exception.

Last year I recall my hope and excitement being primarily captivated
by the aspirations and intent for suspend/resume on x86 to become a
reality. In the time since, my excitement on that topic has waned
somewhat, due partly to the acceptance that that road is even longer
and more difficult than I already anticipated, and partly due to the
much anticipated rise of prevalence of realistic contenders to take
x86's increasingly tenuous throne, which have favorable power
characteristics to begin with.

This year, so far, your video takes the cake for me personally.

This may be the most teasing video I have seen all year! In my
excitement I showed it to the nearest person available who,
predictably, found it entirely mundane and my excitement unrelatable.
Alas, our niche may be narrow and true appreciators few and far
between, but I can assure you the merit and potential of this line of
work is most certainly not unnoticed by all! ;)

The marriage of ideas and approaches found in Qubes with something
providing a more solid foundation for the future is a topic I have
been passionate about for a long time, and I am eager to follow your
work. If you wish to discuss the design space, I would be very happy
to share whatever knowledge and perspective I have developed over the
years while working on Qubes and similar efforts. Regretfully I cannot
commit to more than that at this time (which is why I was otherwise
intending to stay quiet), but I am truly excited that someone else is
pursuing this and happy to support your efforts how I can.

What an exciting way to bring in the New Year :)

Kind regards,
Jean-Philippe