Roadmap 2024

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at genode-labs.com
Sat Dec 23 18:02:12 CET 2023

Hello Norman,
Hello Genodians,

right before Christmas Eve it's about time to share my personal view
of 2023 and sketches for 2024.

On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 16:57:48 CET, Norman Feske wrote:
> Reflections of 2023

Smirkingly, I have to consent Norman's list of 2023 highlights :-)
I was personally involved in many low-level developments, some of
them on winding paths (e.g., the not yet finished renovation of our
USB infrastructure). This meant a lot of testing, learning,
discussions, and amending decisions that did not quite fit the
requirements. I'd like to thank all members of the team for the
fruitful collaboration and the patience that must have been required
to explain intentions or refactor code yet another time.

> Plans for 2024

Theming the year 2024 with "Sculpt OS usability" sounds great to me,
because usability is essential to gain foothold in the "rocking
territory". But unlike Norman's, my perspective still remains from the
low-level up. As Michael (RockChip USB) and Pirmin (IGC NIC,
multi-monitor) noted in their postings, our already good platform and
device support can get even better, which will support usability
improvements indirectly. In concrete, I'd draft the following four
ambitions.

* In a supporting role, I'd be glad to advance the full integration of
  the kernel-agnostic IOMMU support and base-hw virtualization. Both
  projects are stepping stones to a Sculpt PC variant on base-hw.

* I myself plan to push forward our PC platform discovery and ACPI
  support to a future-proof solution for a broad range of recent
  Intel-based devices. This is a prerequisite for clean integration of
  platform gadgets like Intel GPIO, I2C human interface devices.

* Also, I'm ready to do my share for consistent multi-monitor support
  in our GUI stack from the ground up.

* Last, I look forward to the full integration of the diversity of
  touch-based devices like touchpads, graphic tablets, and touch
  screens into our input-event stack.

> How and where would you like to see Genode at the end of 2024?

It would be great to conquer more devices of more people next year.

Regards and Happy Christmas

Christian

--
Christian Helmuth