Request for testing: updated ported Intel display driver

John J. Karcher devuser at alternateapproach.com
Mon Apr 17 22:00:26 CEST 2023

On 4/6/23 09:19, Alexander Boettcher wrote:
> Hello,
>
> currently we are testing our updates of ported Linux drivers [0] on
> various generations of Intel hardware.
> The available test hardware in the lab works fine, so far, but we can't
> be sure whether it applies to all systems out there.
>
> You may support us, and thereby the next Sculpt release, by test driving
> the prepared images. The images are bootable via USB stick and can be
> prepared similar as documented for Sculpt [2]. With the tests by you, we
> may detect regression earlier, e.g. before the Sculpt release.
>
> The test is very simple (and not sensational at all) and cycles through
> some test pictures. When external monitors are attached, the test
> pictures are mirrored across all connectors. The resolution changes
> automatically to the largest resolution available, so that monitors with
> smaller resolution will just show a part of the test picture (so, it is
> expected behavior).
>
> Image [3] contains the driver based upon Linux kernel 6.1 as be part of
> Genode staging branch.
> Image [4] is a variation, which tries to use more of the drm/kms
> interfaces [2] (and is still work-in-progress).
> Ideally, both just work. Please also try to attach/detach connectors
> multiple times to stress the driver a bit.

[snip]

> [3] https://depot.genode.org/alex-ab/images/intel_display_6_1.img
> [4] https://depot.genode.org/alex-ab/images/intel_display_6_1_drm_kms.img

Sorry for the delay in running these tests, but I am happy to report
that both 6.1 images worked fine on my ThinkPad L380 Yoga (with 16GB
RAM) [1].  I tried it both with and without the external monitor, as
well as plugging and unplugging the HDMI cable as quickly as I could.

If you have any more test images, I will be happy to test those also
(hopefully more quickly)!

  Thanks!

   John J. Karcher
   devuser at alternateapproach.com