PinePhone image 2023-04-06 (wifi, software-add tab, Jitsi preset)

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Thu Apr 6 16:59:02 CEST 2023

Dear PinePhone users,

I have just published a new Sculpt image for the PinePhone today:

   https://depot.genode.org/nfeske/image/

The new version 2023-04-06 introduces three new features:

1. Wifi! For those of you without mobile data connectivity,
    you can now select "Wifi" in the network part of the GUI,
    select an access point and enter your passphrase, just like
    on the PC version of Sculpt. Since the passphrase is not
    saved, you have to enter it each time when connecting.
    Not a bug. It's for training your blind typing skills. ;-)
    ...don't worry, those usability topics are on our list.

2. There is a new preset that starts a pre-configured Morph
    browser right into Jitsi alongside the camera driver.
    Speaking of the camera, it is now operated in gray scale
    because we found the colors provided by the sensor not
    really presentable. Later, we may come back to work on
    the colors but until then, gray-scale looks nice enough.
    When asked, select "Use Jitsi on the Website". As of now,
    the preset is mainly intended to ease the testing of
    further performance optimizations. It may not by suited
    for practical use yet, but I think its a good time to
    show how far we have come already.

3. The new "Add" tab in the Software section provides the
    functionality of Sculpt's '+' menu, which is the browsing of
    depot menus, the installation of packages, and the manual
    deployment of new components. In addition to regular Sculpt,
    it offers a way to directly add URLs of new software
    providers. Since Sculpt does not know any public keys of
    such providers, downloads can of course not be verified.
    But the system still offers you the option to download
    packages without verification. The assessment of trust
    in such components is of course entirely up to you.

Installation

- If you have an earlier version of Sculpt installed and a
   mobile data connection, you can use the "Update" tab in the
   software section of the GUI to check for updates from 'nfeske',
   download the '2023-04-06' image, press the install button,
   and reboot.

   You may chose to also download an older image (without install).
   So you can always switch back to the old version should the new
   image not be to your liking.

- For preparing a fresh SD-card, please follow the instructions
   as given in the first announcement:

    https://genodians.org/nfeske/2023-02-01-mobile-sculpt

Have fun with trying out the new image!