dde_linux: trying to port the emmc for arm_v8a driver from linux

Jean-Adrien Domage jean-adrien.domage at gapfruit.com
Tue Sep 20 17:41:50 CEST 2022

Dear Genodians,

I am currently porting the emmc driver from the compulab's Linux source
tree [1].

[1]
https://github.com/compulab-yokneam/meta-bsp-imx8mm/blob/iot-gate-imx8_r3.0/Documentation/linux_kernel_build.md

Everything went more or less smoothly until I got to this assembler
error:

```

/tmp/ccOLpMJW.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/ccOLpMJW.s:987: Error: section name '__irqchip_of_table' already
defined as another symbol
```

This error message indicates a rather obvious error: It seems the symbol
with that name is defined twice with different 'type' in different
compilation units.

However, when using grep I can find the symbol within
`repos/dde_linux/src/lib/lx_emul/spec/arm/irqchip.c` but it is not that
clear within the Linux source where it is defined. I assume in a linker
script but I'm not sure at all. I couldn't find it using grep (not event
a declaration, maybe some macro magic happen here). Which let me think
that the error might not be due to what I actually think...

I tried with nm & grep on each generated object in the build directory,
but couldn't find the culprit either.

I wonder if someone has some experience with dde_linux, whom may have
some idea of what could be the causes? Or what I can try to debug it
harder...

PS: I am aware that some parts of the lx_emul layer may not work with
this source tree, as it has a different version (5.10.72) from the one
in use by dde_linux. I expect to have some trouble with this at some
point, maybe this is the case already?

Many thanks for reading me!

Cheers,
Jean-Adrien