Regarding ARM on Genode

Stefan Kalkowski stefan.kalkowski at genode-labs.com
Thu Sep 15 10:29:04 CEST 2022

Hello,

On Wed, Sep 14, 2022 at 03:08:51PM +0530, Divya Sharma wrote:
> hello genodians,
>
> I'm Trying to port Genode OS for i.MX 8MQ boards (arm_v8a).
> successfully generated .img file but don't know how to run this img file
> i don't have i.MX board so I have to run on Ubuntu (linux).
> I have tried qemu emulator but i think qemu doesn't supported board.
> (basically want to run genode os for ARM.)

If you do not have the i.MX 8MQ hardware available, you simply cannot
execute the image you've mentioned.
Alternatively, to execute Genode on Qemu, you can instead use another
"board" as target. Currently, we offer "pbxa9" and "virt_qemu_arm_v7a"
as boards to target ARM 32-bit, and "virt_qemu_arm_v8a" to target ARM
64-bit on Qemu.

When running make, set the variable:

  BOARD=virt_qemu_arm_v8a

instead of:

  BOARD=imx8q_evk

Be aware, that you cannot use the following RUN_OPT setting, when not
targeting i.MX 8MQ:

  RUN_OPT += --include image/imx8mq_mmc

because, this will produce an SD-card image including boot-loader for
the i.MX 8MQ board. Just remove the setting from your RUN_OPT
variable.

To execute a very simple scenario on Qemu using ARMv8, you can do the
following steps within a Genode repository that was freshly checked
out:

  tool/create_builddir arm_v8a
  cd build/arm_v8a
  make run/log BOARD=virt_qemu_arm_v8a KERNEL=hw

I hope this is helpful.

Regards
Stefan

> Please give some guidance on this.