Announcement: Sculpt OS 22.10 released

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Thu Oct 13 14:56:43 CEST 2022

Hello everyone,

I'm happy to announce today's release of the Genode-based Sculpt
operating system version 22.10.

  https://genode.org/news/sculpt-os-release-22.10

At the surface, this version is a maintenance release with almost no
visible changes. Under the hood, however, we poured immense efforts into
the lowest-level parts of the driver infrastructure like the discovery
and management of PCI resources and the hotplugging of USB devices.
Those low-level architectural changes left almost no driver unturned. We
thoroughly tested Sculpt on our team's arsenal of machines. Please let
us know how it works on your's.

Besides the driver-related changes, seasoned Sculpt users might notice
performance improvements in several areas, ranging from faster system
startup, over increased network throughput, to improved GUI responsiveness.

The release is accompanied by up-to-date packages. For example, you can find

- An updated Chromium engine in the form of the Falkon and Morph
  web browsers in cproc's depot,

- An updated audio driver based on OpenBSD 7.1 in genodelabs' depot,

- Performance and battery monitoring tools in alex-ab's depot.

As a starting point, please find a ready-to-use disk image at the Sculpt
download page:

  https://genode.org/download/sculpt

The matching documentation for using Sculpt or building it at home is
available at:

  https://genode.org/documentation/articles/sculpt-22-10
  https://genode.org/documentation/sculpt-22-10.pdf

I hope you'll enjoy the new version!