Regarding ARM on Genode virt_qemu_arm_v8a

Stefan Kalkowski stefan.kalkowski at genode-labs.com
Tue Oct 4 13:57:09 CEST 2022

Hello Divya,

as has been said, the virt_qemu_arm_v8a platform is not supported to run
Sculpt yet. Nonetheless, essential drivers that need to be assembled
to run Sculpt OS on this platform are already available in Genode.
Therefore, it is mostly some integration work necessary, which you
would need to do on your own. I'm afraid there is no ready-to-use
documentation available to assist you in doing this integration work.
However, there are some helpful pointers I can deliver.

First you should read how the process of Sculpt OS image creation
works, which is described in Genode release 22.02:

  https://genode.org/documentation/release-notes/22.02#Framework_for_special-purpose_Sculpt-based_operating_systems

Second you can have a look at the genode-imx repository from the
genodelabs Gitub account. It showcases how to provide a Sculpt OS
variant for i.MX 8MQ EVK for instance. Here you might have a look at
the driver subsytem in file `sculpt/drivers/imx8q_evk`, which states
what drivers are statically started at boot time, and the file
`sculpt/default-imx8q_evk.sculpt`, which describes what driver
subsystem has to be used, and what packages need to be integrated
additionally to the generic ones.
To decide how to adapt the driver subsystem for the virt_qemu_armv8a
board, you might have a look into the drivers_interactive package for
this platform, especially the file:
`repos/os/recipes/raw/drivers_interactive-virt_qemu_arm/drivers.config`.
It shows which drivers are needed, and how to combine them to drive a
graphical user-interface.
Persistent storage is not available for this platform, but you won't
need it to run Sculpt OS. You can use the RAM filesystem available in
Sculpt instead.

As soon as you have a setup that successfully starts the Sculpt OS GUI
on top of Qemu, you can extend the sculpt.run script's `nic_drv`
procedure to return the right NIC driver's name for the
virt_qemu_armv8a board, which is `virtio_mmio_nic` in your case.

Best regards
Stefan