Regarding RISCV on genode virt_qemu_riscv

Axel Heider axelheider at gmx.de
Wed Nov 23 10:31:28 CET 2022

Hi,

>> spawn qemu-system-riscv64 -nographic -serial mon:stdio -kernel
>> var/run/log/boot/image.elf -m 512 -machine virt -cpu rv64,priv_spec=v1.10.0
>> -bios default -global virtio-mmio.force-legacy=false -device
>> virtio-net-device,bus=virtio-mmio-bus.0,netdev=net0 -device
>> virtio-mouse-device -device virtio-keyboard-device -device
>> virtio-gpu-device -netdev user,id=net0
>>
>> qemu-system-riscv64: Unable to load the RISC-V firmware
>> "opensbi-riscv64-virt-fw_jump.bin"
>
> This is a Qemu error. Typically, the firmware binary is part of the
> Qemu package. I have some questions that help to narrow down the cause
> of the error.

Concerning the QEMU part:

- The Parameter "-bios default" will make recent QEMU versions (I think
   since v6) look for the OpenSBI binary "opensbi-riscv64-virt-fw_jump.bin",
   which is usually bundled with QEMU. Use "-bios none" to skip this in
   case you "var/run/log/boot/image.elf" contains a custom M-Mode firmware.
   See section "Boot options" in QEMU documentation at
   https://www.qemu.org/docs/master/system/riscv/virt.html

- Check with your OS distribution, which packages to install to get
   the QEMU firmwares. It's "qemu-system-data" for debian based
   systems, see
   https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/all/qemu-system-data/filelist

Axel