Roadmap 2022

Alexander Tormasov a.tormasov at innopolis.ru
Mon Jan 10 16:01:52 CET 2022

	Hi Johannes,

>> in that case we need to have single VFS server with own cache/page
>> mapping for files being shared between different instance of
>> containers (subsystems), not only for children’s? is it true for
>> current implementation of [single VFS+FS server] <=> [[multiple
>> subsystems]]?
>
> I'm afraid you lost me. In Genode, a file system is accessed via a
> File_system session. This session provides an API for typical
> file/directory operations (open/create, symlink, watch, move). File
> content is transferred via a packet stream (cf. Genode Foundations
> Book). A VFS server would access e.g. a persistent file system and
> deliver its contents to its own clients, which could be separate
> subsystems. I see two places for caching here: First, the VFS server
> could cache some file content so that it can be delivered to multiple
> clients without transferring it from the block device multiple times.
> Second, the clients can perform their own (local) caching. Since I'm
> not familiar with the internals implementation though, I don't know
> to what extend such mechanisms are already implemented.

another question here is a way how to provide an access rights (different for different clients) which will use the same FS server.
 Do you have something like ACL applied to file system?

or it just borrowed from, e.g. ext2 implementation (need to provide /etc/passwd and /etc/groups together with chmod/chown as separate files and utils)?
I see in ssh_server.run some inline implementation of similar files...

Do you have own or external auth mechanism, like LDAP server/Radius/etc?

Sincerley,
	Alexander