SYMBOLS / check_abi mechanism

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at genode-labs.com
Thu Feb 3 14:25:53 CET 2022

Hello Roland,

On Wed, Feb 02, 2022 at 21:54:47 CET, Roland Bär wrote:
> When I made the building more verbose I saw that SYMBOL was set for most of the
> libraries, but not for nettle and (as my thesis) maybe wrong for gnutls:
[...]
>      SYMBOLS=[...]/genode/repos/libports/lib/symbols/gmp \
>      LIB=gmp \
[...]
>      SYMBOLS= \
>      LIB=nettle \
[...]
>      SYMBOLS=[...]/genode/repos/world/lib/symbols/gnutls \
>      LIB=gnutls \
>
> Can someone give me a hint how to overcome this obstacle? Maybe there is a
> documentation about the SYMBOL / ABI / check_abi that I should read?
>
> The current state of the port can be found at:
> https://github.com/rolandbaer/genode-world/tree/gnutls

I checked your branch and discovered two suspicious properties of the
source tree.

1. https://github.com/rolandbaer/genode-world/tree/gnutls/lib/symbols/gnutls

   This path points to a directory but is expected to be a symbols
   file. You may generate the file with _tool/abi_symbols_ and
   curate its contents.

2. https://github.com/rolandbaer/genode-world/tree/gnutls/lib/symbols/nettle

   This file is missing. See above how to create it.

Hope this helps.

Christian Helmuth
Genode Labs

https://www.genode-labs.com/ · https://genode.org/