Roadmap 2023

Edoardo Mantovani mantovani.edoardo18 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 21:54:47 CET 2022

Hello everyone,
After much time of inactivity, I want to work on Genode Sculpt os, in those
last 2 years, I worked on android kernel development intensively.
Now, Norman, I have some questions for you:
1) do you want to port Genode also on other Smartphone models?
2) Do you think it would be possible to integrate Genode for working with
4/5G?

for 1), I think it could be possible to boot genode on other smartphone,
ideally, we could try to change the android boot image: we maintain the
header (or the aboot  [the android bootloader/third stage bootloader] will
refuse to load it] but, instead of taking the android kernel code, we write
the genode code (an objdump trick will be helpful). From next week, I'll
work directly on this, by using kexec on my modded android smartphone; Note
that is also possible to do that at a lower level, with some qualcomm
chipset (sdm845 and similar, if you search windows 10 on sdm845, you will
see that many peoples have played with efi in order to allow the running of
different OSes, this is possible only on a limited plethora of smartphones,
but could give additional life to the Genode project).

for 2), the problem is pretty Big, I have worked on AT commands, but those
are used for GSM/UMTS, for LTE and other, Qualcomm uses QMI, and the
relative driver, IPA, which is pretty more complicated, so, if we want to
have something for covering new smartphone models, I think that some
drivers should be added to Genode, I am currently working on similar
projects.

I would like to contribute in the creation of a third operating system for
the mobile world, even if this will be extremely difficult, especially if
we consider other components that I have read in your first email.
Do you also implement the usb dwc3 driver? I think that the right direction
can be to move on to the embedded world, the challenges are pretty big, for
the power consumption, Qualcomms adopts a series of complex proxy voting
drivers as well as some specific drivers, which change from model to model.

Happy new year to everyone.

Il giorno gio 29 dic 2022 alle ore 17:21 Colin Parker <cvparker at gmail.com>
ha scritto:

> Hello Genodians,
>    Last year was a good year in Genode for me. I poke around with it at
> the hobby level, but this year I saw the drivers system substantially
> re-worked and I was able to successfully port a Linux driver.
>
> > What directions are you most excited about?
>
> Although many others are excited about Sculpt on phones and SOC/SBC
> scenarios, I remain excited about the prospect of improving Sculpt on
> “conventional” machines like laptops and (mini)towers. My thoughts on where
> things could be:
>
> 1) The default Sculpt image can probably be made to boot already on almost
> any x86 system. A few tweaks could help such as allowing command-line
> arguments from the boot loader to boot in “safe” mode, forcing fallback to
> the boot loader’s frame buffer.
>
> 2) The default Sculpt configuration is great and provides a low barrier to
> new users to at least try Sculpt. But to work seriously in Sculpt one wants
> to install a VM, which is many steps, and to virtualize and
> already-installed OS is even more steps. It would be fantastic if one
> could, out-of-the box, virtualize an installed OS. If that’s too much, it
> might be worth curating USB stick images with pre-installed VM partitions.
>

> > Which topics do you deem as interesting to explore yourself?
>
> I might poke around with (2) above, at least trying to follow the existing
> instructions.
>
> I may also try to port some more Linux drivers. I’m curious where Sculpt
> will go with that - will it be towards live selection of drivers at boot
> time, like in most Linux distros, or is the idea for lean purpose-built
> images that contain only the drivers necessarily for a given system?
>
> Happy new year to all!

Edoardo Mantovani
*Independent security researcher*
*email: *Baseband at cpan.org