Roadmap 2023

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at genode-labs.com
Wed Dec 28 16:44:01 CET 2022

Hello Genodians,

accepting Norman's invitation I'd like to chime in with a short recap
of 2022 and my personal interests for 2023.

On Mon, Dec 26, 2022 at 16:58:36 CET, Norman Feske wrote:
> How did you perceive the Genode year 2022?

For me personally, the year 2022 was packed with PC-centric topics
ranging from device enablement (NOVA kernel, device-resource
management, device-driver support) to the preparation of curated patch
sets for special features that did not made it into mainline yet. I'm
quite proud that our team managed to fully enable Intel Gen11 notebook
platforms including native Iris Xe GPU support. Our limited
experiences with Gen12 (also beyond Normans nice Framework notebook)
are also promising and, thus, I'm sure we'll get on par early in 2023.

> What directions are you most excited about?

The perspective to use Genode not only on my developer notebook but
also on a mobile phone every day is a fairly exciting prospect. I will
support the Sculpt for mobile efforts as well as I can. But yet, my
primary focus will still be Genode on PC-like devices.

> Which topics do you deem as interesting to explore yourself?
>
> Do you already happen to have rough plans about 2023?

My interests for 2023 are twofold and address quite distinct topics.

First, I'd like to transfer our recent experiences in the field of
device-resource management and ACPI into a revised solution that moves
most of the ACPI processing into early boot and tames the runtime
ACPI processor. By design, the dynamic acpica component's system
impact must be minimized.

The second topic I'd like to gain first experiences with is IPv6 in
the Genode context. So far, we concentrated our efforts on IPv4
exclusively in the NIC router as well as with our IP-stack
implementations based on code from lwIP and Linux. With basic IPv6
support as a goal, I believe we could address the dual-stack design
with Genode as our environment from a genuine perspective. I'm already
looking forward to my Linux VM successfully negotiating its first
non-fe80 IPv6 address (and the dancing kame [1]).

[1] https://www.kame.net/

Best regards

Christian

--