Getting Sculpt up and running on a hard drive

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 17:00:20 CET 2022

I am starting to feel my way around in the dark with Sculpt OS. It's
very different. I like different. But, it's a learning curve, for sure.

I am running it on my t430 where I have an SSD and SSHD (hybrid drive -
part ssd and part hdd). The SSD's in the main slot, the SSHD's in the
DVD bay. I have it running on the SSHD, but I'm really not sure what's
going on - shocker, right?

Here are the steps I followed to get here. Tell me if I went off the
correct path:

Preparing and burning the image (after a few stumbles, seems to work):

* installed Debian 11.6 "Bullseye" on the SSD
     * updated
     * installed the necessary packages for building Genode/Sculpt.
* downloaded the toolchain and installed it
* checked out 22.10 in the genode git repo, locally
* configured build.conf
     * MAKE += -j8
     * CCACHE := yes
     * RUN_OPT += --depot-auto-update
     * QEMU_RUN_OPT := --include power_on/qemu  --include log/qemu
--include image/iso
     * libports, ports, dde_linux, dde_rump, gems, pc, dde_bsd, and
dde_ipxe repos
* built the image - success
* dd'ed it onto /dev/sdb (when sdb was the SSHD - sheesh)

Booting and running Sculpt:
* F12, select the SSHD
* Storage->storage-achi-1->partition 3 (GENODE)- expand
     runs 3 passes (takes a couple of minutes):
     max 7452 ExtXXXX...
     max 157 RelXXXX...
     max 1 resizefs: Illegal doubly indirect block found
     Please run e2fsck -fy /dev/block to Fix
     Note: this happens with either of two 1TB drives I use.
* run CHECK
the first check fails, the second succeeds
     This error occurs a couple of times, but it's apparently not fatal:
     [runtime -> ahci-1.3 mke2fs] Error: no plugin found for socket()
* run FORMAT (if I don't genode complains about space)
this takes several minutes
     a couple more[runtime -> ahci-1.3 mke2fs] Error: no plugin found
for socket()
* select USE
     [runtime] child "depot" announces service "File system"
     [runtime -> prepare -> bash] Error: no plugin found for fnctl(X)
     where X is 3, 4, ..., 19
     [runtime -> ahci-1.3.fs] Warning: attempt to handle the same signal
context twice (nested)
     [runtime] child "prepare" exited with exit value 0
     This doesn't appear to be fatal
* connect to network (ethernet)
     [runtime -> nic_drv] snprintf not implemented
     not fatal
* connect to depot
     + -> Depot -> Selection -> genodelabs
     fetches with no errors
     [runtime -> update] Warning: dynamic configured RAM exceeds
available RAM
     not fatal
* install themed wm, sticks blue backdrop, system clock pc, bsd audio
drv, falkon
* browse to youtube, click on a video, be amazed that it plays and that
sound comes out of the speakers!

Does this sound like the right steps or did I err in some way that just
happened to work out?

Now that things are "working," I'm afraid to shut down the system -
which brings me to my next question - is there an FAQ that answers
questions like:

* How do I shutdown gracefully?
* How do I increase the size of the fonts (that log has tiny print,
thankfully vim is easier to read in inspect)?
* Will I lose my component setup on reboot?

I am plowing through the documentation, which is quite good, by the way,
but it's a slow go. I'm also working my way through the genodians posts.
I'm reminded of Borland's early "Sip through the Firehose" blog.

Will