Workflows

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Fri Dec 23 11:48:21 CET 2022

Hi Will,

thanks for joining the mailing list and for giving Sculpt a try!

I just want to add another few points in addition to Colin's hints.

> 1. Is Wifi on the T430 supposed to work? I couldn't get it to do more
> than scanning. There are some teensy tiny error messages in the logs, so
> if it helps I could get out my magnifier and share them, but if there's
> a known issue, I figured y'all would know that without the specific
> error message. The wired connection works, so I'm ok with that as a
> fallback (but it makes it less mobile).

The Wifi driver on the T430 is expected to work. I'm sometimes running
the current version of Sculpt on a T430s.

To investigate the issue, you can browse the log much better in the
inspect view [1] by opening /report/log in vim. This also gives to a way
to save (and report) the log by copying it to disk.

[1]
https://genode.org/documentation/articles/sculpt-22-10#Leitzentrale_subsystem

> 2. Persistence - what about persistence? I picked the ram-fs per the
> getting started document, but I would like to save SOME stuff- say
> bookmarks and source code, how do I do that?

Have you already had a look at [2]? If the documentation leaves some of
your questions unanswered, please tell us. So we can improve it.

[2]
https://genode.org/documentation/articles/sculpt-22-10#Storage_device_access_and_preparation

In short, instead of selecting the RAM file system for "Use", you need
to "Use" an ext2 file system on a disk or partition of a USB, AHCI, or
NVME device.

If you want to dedicate your T430 to Sculpt without dual booting another
OS, the simplest way is to write the downloaded Sculpt disk image
directly to the block device using 'dd' on a live Linux. So instead of
writing the Sculpt base system to a USB stick, write it directly to
disk. You should then be able to boot directly into Sculpt without
messing with GRUB.

Once booted into the Sculpt system, follow the "Expand" step described
in the link above to extend the Sculpt partition (partition 3) to the
full disk size.

Later updates from one Sculpt version to the next can be done by
updating the files (image.elf.gz and hypervisor) at the /boot directory
of the Sculpt partition.

> 3. I read that the genode folks use Sculpt as their daily drivers - so
> I'm guessing they don't boot from USB, build their environment up from
> scratch, add in firefox, terminal, whatever and so on, every day, just
> to start doing other productive things. Is there somewhere where typical
> workflows are described?

In [3], you can find quite a few directions to explore.

[3]
https://genode.org/documentation/articles/sculpt-22-10#Further_exploration

The first stepping stone is usually to set up a VM with a Linux guest in
order to attain a known-good baseline of functionality. Setting up the
guest-host integration (like shared folder, shared clipboard) allows for
a pretty seamless integration of the guest OS and Genode. Once you feel
comfortable with that, you can explore native Genode components (like
moving your browsing habits to Genode's Falkon browser) step by step.

I hope you'll enjoy the ride!