fec_nic_drv runtime error in Genode 22.11

Stefan Kalkowski stefan.kalkowski at genode-labs.com
Wed Dec 21 11:54:35 CET 2022

Hello Pontus,

On Tue, Dec 20, 2022 at 08:29:28PM +0100, Pontus Åström wrote:
> Now everything compiles successfully but I get a runtime setup error
> where the driver complains about an unavailable IO resource:
>
> [init -> eth0_drv] NR_IRQS: 64, nr_irqs: 64, preallocated irqs: 0
> [init -> eth0_drv] clocksource: dde_counter: mask: 0xffffffffffffff
> max_cycles: 0x1d854df40, max_idle_ns: 3526361616960 ns
> [init -> eth0_drv] sched_clock: 64 bits at 1000kHz, resolution 1000ns,
> wraps every 2199023255500ns
> [init -> eth0_drv] clocksource: jiffies: mask: 0xffffffff max_cycles:
> 0xffffffff, max_idle_ns: 7645041785100000 ns
> [init -> eth0_drv] clocksource: Switched to clocksource dde_counter
> [init -> eth0_drv] mdio_bus: Fixed MDIO Bus: probed
> [init -> eth0_drv] Error: memory-mapped I/O resource 0x30be0000
> (size=0x10000) unavailable
>
> What might be the cause of this error?

Probably the problem can be found within the devices ROM delivered to
the platform driver. Formerly, the old driver expected an I/O memory
area of size 0x4000, but the updated FEC driver that uses the original
device-tree information of the Linux kernel expects an I/O memory area
of size 0x10000.
Moreover, the new driver needs additional informations related to its
clocks that is also incorporated into the devices information consumed
by the platform driver. You can see the changes when looking at file
changes of `board/imx8q_evk/devices` within the following commit:

  https://github.com/genodelabs/genode-imx/commit/a7bdd5cbdce98371e22fc3ff1330d6ac6b29ef88#diff-55f6eed7689a6fc70ac3351355a89d5a894d24013b564afac05663b0c64f67d6

To circumvent similar problems in the future, you can incorporate the
mentioned devices file as boot ROM within your scenario, and provide
it to the platform driver. Then you automatically profit from further
updates of the devices descriptions and its interplay with our
provided drivers.

Best regards
Stefan

--