using a C library within a VFS plugin

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at genode-labs.com
Thu Aug 18 11:33:56 CEST 2022

Hello Stefan,

On Thu, Aug 18, 2022 at 10:59:12 CEST, Stefan Thöni wrote:
> I would like to use a C library (wolftpm) from within a VFS plugin.
[...]
> So what is the proper way to do this?

A VFS plugin may only use very limited LibC functionality. In many
aspects this constellation could be compared to the execution of an
application program inside the kernel on Linux. So it's tricky to get
right and stable. I suggest to look for other options if pthreads
and/or blocking file-system operations come into play.

Beside that you may look into a prior discussion on this list [1] and
the FUSE genode-world issue [2] (esp. Norman's reply [3]) for
inspiration.

[1] https://lists.genode.org/pipermail/users/2021-November/007828.html
[2] https://github.com/genodelabs/genode-world/issues/193
[3] https://github.com/genodelabs/genode-world/issues/193#issuecomment-985327679