Announcement: Genode OS Framework version 21.11 released

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Tue Nov 30 15:26:06 CET 2021

Today, we released the version 21.11 of the Genode OS Framework:

  https://genode.org/news/genode-os-framework-release-21.11

During this release cycle, we focused on device drivers. Thanks to the
new DDE-Linux approach featured by the previous release, we were able to
transplant the display and touchscreen drivers for the Pinephone from
the Linux kernel to Genode. The drivers are reused without
modifications, but each one is sandboxed independently as a separate
component.

The i.MX8 SoC family enjoys the most comprehensive Genode support among
the 64-bit ARM platforms. The new version advances the driver coverage
further by the means of a new USB host-controller driver that improves
the performance of isochronous devices like webcams, and a new GPU
driver for the Vivante GPU. Speaking of GPUs, we maintained the steady
pace of our work on hardware-accelerated graphics and are proud the
announce the support for Intel Gen9 and newer GPUs by our custom Intel
GPU multiplexer.

The topics outlined above barely scratch the surface. For the whole
picture, please enjoy skimming the release documentation linked below.

The major improvement at a glance:

- Modularization of Genode's board-support code base
- Drivers
  - Interactive scenarios on the Pinephone (touch + graphics)
  - New USB driver for NXP i.MX8
  - New Vivante GPU driver and etnaviv Mesa driver
  - New VirtIO input and framebuffer drivers
  - Hardware-accelerated graphics with Intel Gen9+ GPUs
  - New support for the Xilinx Zynq-based USRP E310 board
- Feature completion of VirtualBox 6
- Sculpt OS for 64-bit ARM in addition to x86
- Audio and OpenGL support for libSDL2
- Automated boot-image creation for i.MX8, Zynq, Allwinner

The full documentation of the changes is available here:

  https://genode.org/documentation/release-notes/21.11

Enjoy the new version!