General Improvements for Sculpt

Edoardo Mantovani mantovani.edoardo18 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 14:23:45 CET 2021

HI Norman,

Extremely strange.. when I try to execute the core (|| time) elfs, the
following error appears:
cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

Note that I already encountered the following error when I tried to use any
elfs under /bin in the pre-compiled toolchain,
For fixing that I manually installed the toolchain (and, if I execute for
example the x86 gdb program under /bin, everything works well [no ELF
error]).
Regards,
Edoardo Mantovani, 2021

Il giorno ven 5 mar 2021 alle ore 13:31 Norman Feske <
norman.feske at genode-labs.com> ha scritto:

> Hi Edoardo,
>
> > ./core: 1: ./core: ELF : not found
> > ./core: 2: ./core: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
> >
> > note that I am compiling your hello_make example under the "goa" folder.
>
> this looks strikingly similar to the error you posted earlier [1] while
> attempting to execute the compiler.
>
> [1] https://lists.genode.org/pipermail/users/2021-March/007560.html
>
> For some reason, your Linux kernel fails to cope with the ELF binary.
> I'm puzzled why that could happen.
>
> To investigate, you can find the downloaded core binary at
> var/depot/nfeske/bin/x86_64/base-linux/2021-02-24/
>
> For reference, when executing the core binary directly, I get the
> following output:
>
>  hello_make$ ./var/depot/nfeske/bin/x86_64/base-linux/2021-02-24/core
>  Genode 20.11-251-g676fd7d884a <local changes>
>  17592186044415 MiB RAM and 8997 caps assigned to init
>
> After these lines, a number of errors about missing ROM modules occurs,
> which is expected because there are no matching files in the current
> working directory.
>
> Please check if the behavior is the same for you.
>
> If yes, please go on with executing core within the var/run/ directory,
> which contains the entire system scenario (including the needed ROM
> modules). The expected output is as follows.
>
>  hello_make$ cd var/run/
>  hello_make/var/run$ ls
>  config  core  hello  init  ld.lib.so  timer
>  hello_make/var/run$ ./core
>  Genode 20.11-251-g676fd7d884a <local changes>
>  17592186044415 MiB RAM and 8997 caps assigned to init
>  [init -> hello_make] Hello
>
> Good luck!
>
> Norman
>
> --