Laptop Touchscreen (was: Re: Roadmap 2021)

John J. Karcher devuser at alternateapproach.com
Mon Jan 18 18:40:51 CET 2021

On 1/5/21 9:17 AM, Alexander Boettcher wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 04.01.21 22:47, John J. Karcher wrote:

[snip]

>> What would be involved with bringing touchscreen support to the PC platform?
>>
>> I don't know if anyone is familiar with the interface(s) for active pens, which would be the icing on the cake, but it would be really nice to be able to test whatever touch UIs are developed for phones/tablets on the laptop as well.
>
> the general support was added already in 2015 (see release notes [0]) for one specific touch device used with one notebook back then.
>
> Since then, however, the topic was not relevant anymore nor integrated with Sculpt. It boils down to write or port the touch device driver for the desired/specific notebook, calibrate/sync the resolution of the touch device to the currently used screen resolution in Sculpt and potentially additional UI work.
>
> [0] https://genode.org/documentation/release-notes/15.02

I'm curious to see if I can advance the ball on this a little bit, as a
developer learning experience as well as to actually get the feature.

 From what I've read, PC laptop touchscreens and pens generate USB HID
events, so it shouldn't be necessary to write low-level drivers for each
model.

As a short-term goal, I would like to be a able to see (i.e. log) the
touchscreen/pen events within Sculpt.  I'd like to use the new USB
driver model so it's useful going forward, preferably as a depot package.

Is my understanding correct?  Does anyone have any guidance on where to
start?

  Thanks!

   John J. Karcher
   devuser at alternateapproach.com