Main menu of Sculpt/Genode too long to fit on screen

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Fri Apr 9 10:44:51 CEST 2021

Hello Reza,

welcome to the mailing list and thank you for the compliments!

> I was wondering if you are thinking of a better UI?

The UI will gradually improve. Actually, the thinking is already done.
:-) There are many ideas such as making the graph scrollable, on-screen
help, keyboard control, saving launchers with a button, interactive
routing-policy changes, interactive RAM assignment... The list goes on.

However, we won't rush the implementation. Right now, we are focused on
other areas: Performance, Sculpt OS on lower-end hardware, resilience,
consistency. I think it is important to balance these topics well
against the development of user-visible features. Whereas added features
give better stories, the non-functional aspects are equally (or even
more?) important for the actual use of the system.

> Also, as 'depot' are frequently accessed and needed in a daily OS,
> would you think it'd be a good idea to bring organize 'depot' in a
> more accessible spot? Right now, you have to click many times.
Sculpt's leitzentrale is not meant as an alternative to time-tested
paradigms of a desktop UI (panel, menus, notifications etc.). It'd be
far too opinionated for that.

I envision that Sculpt will eventually be complimented by a ready-to-use
"Desktop" package that provides all the niceties expected by end users.
So Sculpt's leitzentrale would only be used to install the desktop
initially but will go out the way afterwards.

That said, right now, no such desktop package exists yet. We still have
a long way ahead of us.