mmap implementation for ANON mapping with desired address

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Wed Nov 25 11:25:37 CET 2020

Hi Alexander,

On 23.11.20 09:26, Alexander Tormasov via users wrote:
> Now I think that it is closer to what I need for golang runtime, at least it works here.
> Could you take a look?

please bear with me. I'm currently busy with the upcoming Genode
release. I'll be happy to give you feedback by mid of next week.

> Question: is it worth to spend more efforts to bring it to the mainstream genode?
> or continue keeping them in the private repository as now?
>
> Same question for golang support…
> It can be potentially stored in world repo - is it worth to spend efforts?
> May be someone interested to takeover this work?

I appreciate you bringing up this question.

Yes, I would very much welcome turning your line of work into a
community effort. The world repository is certainly the best place.

- It would be consistent with the runtimes for Java and Python, which
  are already maintained there.

- It would give the project a wider exposure compared to a private
  repository. So Genode users are more likely to pick it up.

- Since Genode Labs routinely uses the world repository, the repository
  receives (a certain degree of) maintenance from our side. E.g.,
  we try to keep it up to Genode API changes.

- Since interest in a Go runtime was raised several times in the past,
  I'm positive that other members of our community might step up for
  improving it once we have good and visible starting point.

- I think that some of the issued we discussed on the mailing list
  would be best addressed by changes in Genode's infrastructure such
  as the libc. Having the use cases of these changes readily available
  in the world repository certainly increases the motivation to take
  on such changes.

For these reasons, I'd like to encourage you to contribute your work to
the world repository. As the first step, please open a corresponding
issue at [1]. We will guide you from there.

[1] https://github.com/genodelabs/genode-world/issues