question about Region_map::Region_conflict in attach_at()

Alexander Tormasov a.tormasov at innopolis.ru
Tue Nov 17 09:36:34 CET 2020

	Hello Christian,
thank you for clarification.

> Any other approach of "guessing maybe unused address regions" is
> designed to fail sooner or later. Imagine libraries that also map
> dataspaces dynamically for pointer-based data access for example.

I try to port «in more correct way» code from golang runtime.
It do not assume any particular address, anyway, it actively use mmap as a probe to try to setup so called «arena space» where they make internal allocation. so, they do not try to guess exact layouts, they just have a set of pre-defined addresses where they try to place mapping.

of course, they assume that some of the attempts can fail and try other places…
I think that this is relatively safe approach, and I want to have genode mmap with ANON flag works in such a way that I do not need to correct the golang runtime. to check I found abstract mmap test suit and try to apply it. so… partially it works =)

I think that I will stop activities here, allowing free/remap only own ANON mmap allocations, this will be enough for basic golang runtime.

Sincerely,
	Alexander