Running Genode on a Raspberry Pi 3

Tomasz Gajewski tomga at wp.pl
Tue Nov 10 21:54:14 CET 2020

Simon Himmelbauer <himmelba at in.tum.de> writes:

> I actually used your guide to setup Genode on a Raspberry so before I
> continue, I wanted to thank you for this article.

It's really great to hear it is useful.

> Anyway, I don't understand what I am doing wrong here. I followed your
> guide step-by-step with the exception of booting the image from the
> sd-card. My config looks very similar to yours (see below). However, I
> always receive garbage output. I think it must be a UART-issue of some
> sort. I investigated the Fiasco.OC-kernel code and found out that when
> the rpi3 configuration is used, it tries to compile a driver for the
> 16550 instead of the PL011, which is actually used in the RPi3 (unless
> I am misunderstanding something, I should add that most of this stuff
> is kind of new to me). Unfortunately, this did not fix the problem
> either but still, I added the changed files below for clarification.

Earlier you wrote that you're still on 19.05. Few days after this
release Stefan made a commit 811410fdbb3fb9c41ef97ee480b2fe1678341a81
'foc: update to current github version (fix #3402)'

My advise for you would be to try current version or better 20.08 which
I specifically pointed as a release on which I tested.

> Could you share me your image to see whether I can get it to boot on
> my Pi as well?

No problem. But not earlier than tomorrow. Please let me know in case
you succeed earlier with newer release - I think that very likely you
will. I'm not entirely sure but I briefly remember that I also had
problem with uart on foc. Actually when I tested it on Saturday I was a
little surprised that it works now.

Regards
Tomasz