Announcement: Genode OS Framework version 20.05 released

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at genode-labs.com
Thu May 28 13:51:52 CEST 2020

The principal topic of Genode 20.05 is "consolidation",
which is a polite synonym for hard work hidden from the user and
developer under the hood of our widely stabilized API. The strong
motivation for this work stems from the confrontation of our software
with increasingly complex real world workloads. Along these lines we
generalized of our central component for managing platform I/O
resources with a from-the-scratch platform driver for ARM as the first
step. Also, we unified the virtualization support for ARMv7/ARMv8 and
added support for Qemu virt ARM platforms for 32 and 64 bit.

A functional highlight marks the feature completeness of our
block-encryption component CBE implemented in ADA/SPARK clearing the
way to integrate this feature into Sculpt soon. Also in a joint effort
with the community, we improved Genode on Linux from a sheer
development tool to a product-ready platform with effective sandboxing
of components based on seccomp and object capabilities. So, adopters
can employ Genode/Linux and start right away with the application
development on the target platform, and at any time migrate
transparently to a microkernel.

Last but not least, don't miss the annual update of the Genode
Foundations book.

More highlights of the current release are

- Capability-based security via seccomp on Linux
- Feature-completeness of our consistent block encrypter
- Consolidation of the framework API and feature set
- New revision of the Genode Foundations book
- Ability to host board support outside the Genode source tree
- Platform-driver architecture for the ARM universe
- Unified virtual-machine monitor for ARMv7 and ARMv8
- Qemu-virt platform support
- MSI-X support on x86
- Improved CPU affinity management on the NOVA hypervisor

The complete release documentation for the version 20.05 is available at

  https://genode.org/documentation/release-notes/20.05

Have fun

--
Christian Helmuth