ROM with size information

Stefan Thöni stefan.thoeni at gapfruit.com
Fri Jan 17 11:58:32 CET 2020

Hello Genodians

For our current use case we need to provide a single file e.g.
continuous binary data with size information to a component. We cannot
use to standard ROM session as it doesn't provide size information. We
also need the ability to specify a file not known at development time
through the session label in the deploy config as is possible with the
fs_rom component.

We have discussed several solution strategies:

a) Provide the file through a file system session: Besides the drawback
of unnecessary complexity this also does not give us the ability to
specify the desired file with the session label.

b) Add content size information to the ROM session and update the fs_rom
component to provide it. This would seem the most straightforward
solution, but for the sacredness of the ROM session.

c) Create an updated or forked fs_rom component with the ability to
provide single files as tar archives. This would allow us to consume the
tar with vfs and have the size information available.

Which strategy should we prefer? Are there any other solutions that
satisfy our requirements?

Best regards
Stefan

--