GCL component and repository

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Fri Feb 21 14:57:41 CET 2020

Hi Stefan,

> We would like to release a new component under GCL. Should we place it
> in genode-world or create our own public repository?

I presume that you plan to offer a commercial license of your component
as a product. In this case, a repository owned and branded by your
company would be the most natural way to host it.

The Genode-world repository [1] is designated for community-maintained
open-source software. The GCL [2] is not an open-source license
according to the OSI definition. Therefore, it would not fit naturally
into the Genode-world repository.

[1] https://github.com/genodelabs/genode-world
[2] https://genode.org/documentation/articles/component_public_license

> It the latter is
> the case, is there any place where you collect public repositories
> containing GCLed genode code?

There is no such place yet. Right now, the best way for giving your
component public exposure would be an introductory article at
Genodians.org. Please refer to [3] for the instructions for publishing
articles there.

[3] https://github.com/genodelabs/genodians.org