Roadmap 2021

Colin Parker cvparker at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 05:45:51 CET 2020

Hi Everybody,
   As a hobbyist who's been following Genode for about a year now (I was
running Sculpt on my home computer for a few months), I thought I would
offer a few thoughts. Since I mostly do stuff for fun and at a slow pace, I
don't expect to be influential in any serious way, but perhaps the
perspective of hobby users is valuable nonetheless? Overall I'm very
impressed with Genode/Sculpt - the philosophy and approach is pretty cool,
and I have some successes with it. For example, I was able to port the Qt
version of the "2048" game, and recently I have been trying to port the
HelenOS driver for AR9271 usb wifi dongle - it is work in progress and
non-functional currently. I also appreciate the level of active development
going on - each new update brings cool stuff, so I think the past year of
Genode updates was interesting to see.

If there's one wish I have it would be better hardware support and
resiliency. Currently, unless I misunderstand, the hardware support list
mostly reflects the hardware that Genode Labs uses, and there doesn't see
to be much dynamic handling of identifying and loading drivers. Example 1 -
Sculpt will try to load a PS2 driver even on my Apple hardware that doesn't
have any, leading to system crash. Example 2 - Sculpt uses pretty simple
hard-coded logic to select which framebuffer driver to use, when I was
expecting an XML file somewhere to allow more fine-grained control of which
vendor/product IDs to assign to which driver (and also to identify and
match other drivers, I guess). Example 3 - When the FB driver crashes, the
rest of the system is resilient and continues to run. But, of course this
is nearly useless because there is no way to reset the driver. Given my
understanding of the component-based architecture, it seems like these
things shouldn't be insurmountable issues. It should be possible to
identify a failed component, kill it, and replace with a new instance, I
think? It would be fun, in non-embedded applications, to be able to compile
an experimental driver within a VM, push the result back to the running
system, test it, tweak and recompile, etc. With that kind of workflow,
maybe we could hope for more experimental/community drivers, at least on PC
hardware?

Anyhow, those are my thoughts, thanks for making Genode!

Regards,
Colin