Roadmap 2021

Johannes Schlatow schlatow at ida.ing.tu-bs.de
Fri Dec 18 19:00:06 CET 2020

Hi all,

I like Norman's vision of having a Genode-based mobile phone by the end
of 2021 and am stoked to contribute to this mission. I almost ordered a
pinephone some weeks ago but talked myself out of it because I was not
ready to put in a lot of work. Yet, the perspective of running Genode
on this phone completely changes the picture ;-)
Besides the technological obstacles such as porting device drivers,
there is also the question of usability. I think a basic
support/integration of web apps would make the mobile Genode already
quite usable.

I also like that Norman mentioned optimisation. I have a few ideas in
the back of my head regarding performance optimisation and debugging. I
would very much like to get some system-level tracing infrastructure
running. As I've been working with Lttng this year (outside the Genode
sphere), I thought having a similar functionality on Genode could
dramatically simplify identifying bottlenecks and race conditions. The
nice thing is that the developers behind Lttng established the Common
Trace Format to store trace data. Thus, once we get a CTF trace out of
Genode, we could use all the existing analysis and visualisation tools.

Cheers
 Johannes