Shutdown

Colin Parker cvparker at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 19:33:31 CEST 2020

Norman,

particular drivers do not encapsulate much state. But bus drivers (like
> USB) or storage drivers contain complex state that would go lost upon
> restart. So those components must ultimately become infallible.
>
> You can help us with that. I encourage you to report any problems that
> you experience with those low-level components, if possible.

I see. My problem is not so much with usb_drv but with a particular device
(my wifi dongle that's passed to the VM). After VM shutdown the USB state
becomes corrupted somehow, and requires a hard reset by manually detaching
the device, which is a pain. I hope to find some way to issue a reset in
SW, but USB seems not to make that easy. Under linux one can, for example,
detach the PCI connection for the host controller (e.g. xhci controller,
ehci controller), and then rescan the PCI bus but it has to be done with
caution because you lose the keyboard and mouse access during the reset
period prior to the rescan unless you have a backup input device. There are
also ways to cycle per-port power on some hubs, although I have not figured
them out. They are I believe difficult but possible to control in linux, I
think it may not even be possible under Sculpt right now?

Colin