A question on kernels

Tomasz Gajewski tomga at wp.pl
Fri Apr 10 23:22:05 CEST 2020

Hi,

probably you'll get a more complete answer from someone from the core
team later but maybe a quick but not so complete answer will help.

Lonnie Cumberland <lonnie at outstep.com> writes:

> How would Sculpt (Genode) on bare-metal HW be better, or worse, than
> NOVA, or SeL4, for example?

Advantages of base-hw are summarized in Genode Foundations Book in
chapter:  7.7.  Execution on bare hardware (base-hw)

The most important advantage of other kernels is probably being more
mature.

The choice depends heavily on the target architecture. I think that on
ARM the typical choice is base-hw and on a pc it is typically Nova - at
least for Sculpt. Possibly the choice was due to missing support for
virtualization - I don't remember what is the current state of it on
x86.

Regards
Tomasz