Genode and Virtualbox updates?

Lonnie Cumberland lonnie at outstep.com
Wed Apr 8 14:34:22 CEST 2020

Morning Norman,

I truly thank you for all of the positive support and quick feedback that
you have given me over the years as I work towards building just a simple
idea into a workable user product as it goes far beyond just building an
ultra-slim hypervisor and if these rudimentary steps go well then you will
see more of the global idea unfold into the paradigm shift that I envision.

> I encourage you to take a second look. Sculpt OS is pretty much
> bare-bone. The default bootable image [1] is 27 MiB in size. With the
> wireless driver removed, the image weights only 16 MiB. This includes
> the kernel, the GUI stack, fundamental drivers (network, USB, NVMe,
> SATA, display, PS/2), and the software installation/update mechanism. It
> is specifically designed to be a suitable base for scenarios like the
> one you describe.
>
> [1] https://genode.org/download/sculpt
>
> If you find Sculpt OS not suited for your scenario, I would very much
> appreciate to learn why. So we can take your feedback into account for
> upcoming versions.

I think that I will go back now and take a better look at Sculpt as well as
read up on it to get a better feel for how to use it since I was able to
fire it up in a VirtualBox on my Debian 9 system as well as on native
hardware, but at that time it did not seem intuitive on its usage.

> As one data point, I'm using Virtualbox on Sculpt as my only OS on my
> laptop everyday to get all my work done. ;-)

This is very good to hear and makes me excited to look deeper into using it
since I had always liked the idea of VirtualBox as the single-instance
VMM.

Can you also tell me if the VBox RDP functionality is working as well since
this is a critical part of infrastructure that I will need in this new type
of hypervisor OS design?

> During the design of Sculpt, I actually had our previous conversations
> (from some years ago) in the back of my head. Back then, the attempt to
> replicate the NOVA demo based on Genode would have required too much
> effort on your side. So you understandably dropped out. Given this
> experience, one of the major goals behind Sculpt OS was to dramatically
> reduce this effort - to empower people like you to pursue product ideas
> without getting too much sucked-in into hairy technical details.

Being able to develop this type of "product" is really what is needed for
me, in particular, without getting tied down in the hairy technical details
like you mention so Genode actually may be the viable solution that I have
been seeking.

> Should you succeed in using Sculpt OS as your base, I'd call Sculpt a
> success. If you give it a go and need further guidance beyond the
> documentation [2], you are always welcome to post here.
>
> [2] https://genode.org/documentation/articles/sculpt-20-02

It would give me great pleasure also to help show that Sculpt is a
resounding success towards my project and I look forward to seeing what can
be done. Let me read up on it with the latest Genode documentation and see
if I can compile up the NOVA + Genode + VirtualBox design.

I think that I will setup a Ubuntu 19.05 Docker container and install the
Genode toolchain so that I can work on building things on my Debian host to
see if that will work and take some baby steps from there.

Thanks again and have a great day, my friend.
Lonnie