Genode and Virtualbox updates?

Lonnie Cumberland lonnie at outstep.com
Wed Apr 8 00:51:28 CEST 2020

Greetings All,

Hope that everyone is staying safe.

Now that I have started to dig heavily back into NOVA from taking a hiatus
from a number of projects, I also wanted to get ramped back up with digging
into the latest Genode as well.

In the past, my basic goals were to have NOVA (hypervisor) with a single
instance Virtualbox (VMM), and Genode as the GUI and to provide the glue to
bring it all together.

Now I want to reinvestigate all of this to see what might be achievable,
but looking at the Genode Sculpt OS, it kinda seems like a bit of overkill
for what I wanted.

In the past, NOVA (demo 0.3) had some night little features that just
booted up extremely fast and allowed you to start up some simple VM's under
the NUL framework using the Vancouver VMM.  I thought that was very nice
but also thought that if I could figure out how to get a Genode GUI on
something like that and perhaps utilize the ported version of VirtualBox as
a single instance VMM that was stable and fast then I could use that as my
basis instead.

Of course, I also investigated Muen and its possible inclusion in this
scheme but now with some good input from Norman, I think that it is better
not to have Muen included.

So then, now I am wondering what the simplest setup would be to have just
NOVA, VirtualBox and Genode (for the GUI and some drivers like audio,
video, etc. for VBox) in an extremely small footprint.

Also, I am wondering how much more advanced VirtualBox has become on Genode
since when I last looked at it there was really no way that it could
realistically be used for any type of real usage, but I am sure that has
changed since then.

Anyway, I would like to get any thoughts or suggestions that the wonderful
people on the Genode mailing list might like to offer as I am still
interested in building out this ultra-small hypervisor project.

Cheers and stay safe, my friends.
Lonnie