Sculpt Hanging On New ThinkPad

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Tue Sep 24 18:13:18 CEST 2019

Hi John,

>> Since you see the GUI, the input drivers (both USB HID and PS/2) have
>> come up, which is promising.
>
> That's interesting - could the USB driver be initialized, but crash on
> an interrupt (or something like that)?

indeed. It looks very much like that.

To take the USB driver off the critical path for using Sculpt, you may
give the attached patch a try. It prevents the input filter from
obtaining an input session from the USB driver. If our assumption is
correct, you should be able to interact with Sculpt using the laptop's
keyboard and track point (driven by the PS/2 driver).

> This just goes to show how dependent we are on USB - I can't think of a
> way to get data on or off this machine without it.  (No optical drive,
> and I didn't buy the dongle for the "mini-ethernet" port.)
>
> It's a little strange that it boots off the USB stick all the way
> through displaying the component graph.  I'm assuming it uses the BIOS
> up to a certain point, then hands control over to the Genode drivers.

The boot image is loaded into memory by the boot loader, which uses BIOS
calls. Genode's USB driver is not used at this stage.

If we can pinpoint the problem to the USB driver, there is still the
open question of how to investigate it. I hope that the ability to
interact with Sculpt will give us some clues, in particular by looking
at /report/log in the inspect window.