depot_autopilot, log/serial, docker and reboots

Roman Iten roman.iten at gapfruit.com
Thu Oct 3 19:05:42 CEST 2019

Hello

For continuous testing, I have a docker container in which the
depot_autopilot run script is executed. For ARM targets, I include
`log/serial` which executes `picocom`. It works like a charm until the
point where the run script reboots the target and tries to reconnect to
the serial port which is still busy. `ps` reaveals that picocom is still
running, although it should have been killed by then.

Please note that this only happens when the run script is executed
within a docker container...

After tinkering around with it, I came up with this patch [1]. It works
for me when executing the run script "directly" as well as within the
docker container. But to be honest, I don't understand why (...it's only
required in a docker environment). I'd feel better if someone can
confirm that the patch is reasonable or how else to solve the problem.

Thanks, Roman

[1]
https://github.com/rite/genode/commit/c4c7bf56230d18480d672ba432d6958ff72ec69a