mouse pointer doesn't work on Rpi 1

Stefan Kalkowski stefan.kalkowski at genode-labs.com
Thu May 23 11:56:19 CEST 2019

Hi Kimberly,

thanks for trying out Genode.

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 05:22:45PM +0800, kimberly nNA wrote:
> Dear Genode team,
>
> I am Kimbelly.
> I tried this commands :
> $ ./tool/create_builddir rpi
> $ make run/demo KERNEL=hw
> I could run the demo on Rpi 1 B+ (ARM v6)
> but the mouse pointer didn't work.
> I don't know what happen...
> (I have uncommented the dde_linux)

the Raspberry Pi B+ series is known to work slightly different than
the "non-plus" variant we use in our test-farm. Moreover, we
experience similar problems of unsteady USB HID devices, which is part
of continous investigation when time permits it. See issue:

  https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/issues/3247

for reference. One reason is the cumbersome USB host controller used
in the Broadcom 283* SoCs, which is normally used as OTG controller,
and brings in some challenges (interrupt storm) in systems software.

However, Tomasz (tomga on github) did some cool work recently on the
Raspberry Pi 3 B+, including using a different (newer) host controller
driver taken from vanilla Linux. You can find an unordered list of
related and unrelated commits on his topic branch:

  https://github.com/tomga/genode/commits/rpi3bplus_19.02

Alternatively, you might wait until he brings in his changes to the
Genode main ord world repository, or we solved the issue with the
older driver, or you take a less challenging hardware ;-).

> Another question is now what kind of the ARM boards that you recommend ?
>
> Thanks a lot ! 😊

Well, we will actually continue to support a more recent version of
Raspberry Pi (Model 3 B) as a low-budget community board. But mostly
we focus on the whole Freescale i.MX series (i.MX53, i.MX6Quad,
i.MX7Dual, i.MX8Quad coming soon), because they share a lot of
peripherals. Therefore, device driver development and maintainance is
less a hurdle. And most foremost, there is at least documentation
available for it.

I hope that helps!

Best regards
Stefan