Genode (x86_64) reboots on Thinkpad T420

Alexander Boettcher alexander.boettcher at genode-labs.com
Fri Mar 8 09:49:18 CET 2019

Hello,

On 07.03.19 23:10, Valery V. Sedletski via users wrote:
> Hi, Genodians!
>
> Some days ago, I ordered a Thinkpad T420, which is listed in Genode
> unofficial HCL by cnuke. I set up Genode booting remotely via PXE+Intel
> AMT. It boots the  system image (x86_32 arch) just fine on real
> hardware. But if I try booting an x86_64 image, it reboots on most
> kernels, or traps on Fiasco.OC. Last messages in the log I see are from
> "bender" [1]. This is when booting using NOVA kernel. If I try Fiasco.OC
> as a kernel ([2]), It goes until "bootstrap", and last I see in the log
> are "bootstrap" messages, until it attempts to start the kernel. And at
> the same time, I see the following trap screen from bootstrap: [3]. All
> registers are zeroes, except a few ones. So, with "foc" kernel, I see a
> Trap #0 (division by zero). In case of "NOVA" and "base-hw" kernel, it
> does not trap, but just reboots. I tried to remove the "novga" parameter
> from NOVA kernel, but I still see a blank screen.

I could reproduce it after same configuration changes in the UEFI BIOS
of my test T420. When I set in the UEFI/BIOS the option "Security ->
Memory Protection -> Execution Prevention" to disabled, the machine reboots.

For my T420 test machine it is set to enabled, and then it works, log
attached.

Hope it helps,

Alex.

make: Entering directory '/home/alex/genode/sculpt_release/build/x86_64'
including /home/alex/genode/sculpt_release/tool/run/boot_dir/nova
including /home/alex/genode/sculpt_release/tool/run/load/tftp
including /home/alex/genode/sculpt_release/tool/run/log/serial
including /home/alex/genode/sculpt_release/repos/gems/run/sculpt_test.run
checking configuration syntax
  CHECK init
using 'core-nova.o' as 'core.o'
spawn /bin/sh -c picocom -b 115200 /dev/ttyUSB0
picocom v2.2

port is        : /dev/ttyUSB0
flowcontrol    : none
baudrate is    : 115200
parity is      : none
databits are   : 8
stopbits are   : 1
escape is      : C-a
local echo is  : no
noinit is      : no
noreset is     : no
nolock is      : no
send_cmd is    : sz -vv
receive_cmd is : rz -vv -E
imap is        :
omap is        :
emap is        : crcrlf,delbs,

Type [C-a] [C-h] to see available commands

Terminal ready
Bender: Hello World.
Need 039fb000 bytes to relocate modules.
Relocating to 7c605000:
Copying 60629744 bytes...
Copying 162240 bytes...

NOVA Microhypervisor v8-b4904a1 (x86_64): Feb 28 2019 14:26:07 [gcc
6.3.0] [MBI]

[ 0] TSC:2400000 kHz BUS:0 kHz DL
[ 0] CORE:0:0:0 6:2a:7:4 [29]        Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @
2.40GHz
[ 2] CORE:0:1:0 6:2a:7:4 [29]        Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @
2.40GHz
[ 1] CORE:0:0:1 6:2a:7:4 [29]        Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @
2.40GHz
[ 3] CORE:0:1:1 6:2a:7:4 [29]        Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @
2.40GHz
Hypervisor features VMX
Hypervisor reports 4x1 CPUs

--
Alexander Boettcher
Genode Labs

https://www.genode-labs.com - https://www.genode.org

Genode Labs GmbH - Amtsgericht Dresden - HRB 28424 - Sitz Dresden