Genode on RPI

Tomasz Gajewski tomga at wp.pl
Mon Jan 28 18:31:33 CET 2019

Hi,

last weeks of attempts gave me some small progress with code,
understanding of some aspects of ARM (AArch32) architecture and some
knowledge about how low level hw kernel is implemented.

I have some thoughts and questions about how some issues should/could be
implemented that I'd like to discuss.

Firstly I think that in my ignorance I took a wrong path to experiment
with Raspberry Pi 3B+. It has a Cortex A53 (ARMv8-A) processor but as I
want to target AArch32 (and initially without SMP) I thought that
modifying current rpi target is the best choice. Now I think that I
should have started with the newest supported by hw ARM processor
(Cortex A15 if I correctly understand) and I would not be stopped
by issues I had. Or maybe not...

When last time I wrote about my progress I couldn't pass through
following code:

>     sctlr = Cpu::Sctlr::read();
>     Cpu::Sctlr::C::set(sctlr, 1);   // enable data cache
>     Cpu::Sctlr::I::set(sctlr, 1);   // enable instruction cache
>     Cpu::Sctlr::M::set(sctlr, 1);   // enable mmu
>     Cpu::Sctlr::write(sctlr);

After reading and making different attempts I checked that enabling
instruction cache does not cause problems, enabling data cache or mmu
individually does allow to go further but enabling both does not. But I
thought that for initial experiments I can live without data cache. But
soon I found out that I was wrong.

After many attempts I found a place where it halted. It was deep inside
Genode::log in ... assembly in atomic.h in cmpxchg. And reading gave me
another unpleasent surprise that it will not work if I don't have data
cache enabled... So I had to go back.

After two weeks of poking around finally I found a workaround that
allowed me to go further. I've changed Page_flags for all types from
CACHED to UNCACHED and it allowed to pass through enabling mmu with
data cache enabled (of course without real caching) and through spinlock
in atomic.h.

Next thing was to make UART working. Unfortunately version 3 has
different UART device enabled by default (it has two) and it required a
different driver which I implemented.

Seeing "kernel initialized" passed through serial connection was a real
pleasure after analyzing logs in memory for two weeks.

So I thought that it is a good moment to write my thoughts and
questions.

For writing traces to memory I've created a simple utility (set of
macros in assembly and C++) to write simple debug values to a buffer in
memory. I used it to diagnose what is going on before serial connection
is working.

It is specified by a buffer address and size. At the beginning a pointer
to current position in buffer is stored. A 1-1 mapping is inserted into
TLB for this region and I had to make changes in virtual memory layout
of core. Currently addresses are hardcoded but I can polish it to a
state where it could be enabled/disabled with some build option or some
defines in one place in the code if you'd like to use this. I pushed
current state of my work [1] (without any cleanup yet). Utility macros
are in:
 - repos/base/include/base/memtrace.h
 - repos/base-hw/src/bootstrap/spec/arm/crt0.s
Would you be interested in adding something like this to Genode? I would
create issue and propose some version.

I have some general doubts about how some issues could be resolved. I
started experimenting with an idea to make it possible to have a Sculpt
for Raspberry Pi. And I thought it could be created one in such a way
that single binary could run on any Pi. I knew that they are all ARM
devices and even though some are 64bit they can work in AArch32 so I
wanted to treat all version as just 32bit ARM boards.

I knew that they differ in list of devices so I thought that some kind
of configuration would have to be passed during booting process so
proper device drivers could be loaded and with proper configuration. I
checked that a solution for this problem (using one binary for different
ARM boards) used by at least Linux and U-boot is device tree. My plan
was (and still is unless something better is proposed) to try to
experiment with incorporating support for device tree to a platform
driver - if I correctly understand it is a place where similar
functionality is implemented for x86_64.

Browsing through bootstrap and core code in base-hw for past weeks made
me realise that to support one binary for different Pi devices which
have different generations of processors other problems would have to be
resolved.

If I correctly understand currently whe building base-hw for a specific
ARM board all configuration is provided during build process. It is
performed by:

 a. specifying target processor version (-m for g++)

 b. specifying list of files to compile and include to binary that
    contain implementations of functions that differ between different
    processor generations and to enable some functionality (e.g. for
    virtualization support for ARM)

 c. constants in code - to provide proper memory ranges, MMIO addresses,
    etc. for device drivers

Having all this information during build allows to:

 - optimize code by inlining even processor specific code

 - minimize resulting binary (maybe not so important) and therefore
   memory footprint on runnig system (more importand)

On the other hand wikipedia (here [2]) currently mentions 15 models of
Raspberry Pi which differ in:

 - processor generations (ARM11, Cortex-A7, Cortex-A53) - that breaks
   point (a)

 - have different devices (with/without ethernet, wireless, etc.) -
   that breaks point (b)

 - have different runtime configurations that can be changed by
   configuring firmware (e.g. different partitioning of RAM for used by
   graphics and operating system can be performed using a configuration
   option) - that contradicts with (c)

When thinking about supporting different Pi devices (and more generally
other ARM boards) I think that there are two areas to consider:

 A. support for runtime/startup configuration of devices that will have
    drivers running in different processes - this is a part that I knew
    about from the beginning of my experimentation. I still think that
    implementing support for device tree (or some alternative) is a
    proper solution for this part (what whould be a method of passing
    configuration to device drivers is an open question)

 B. support for passing configuration that is required by bootstrap and
    core. Here drivers are selected with C++ code e.g.:

        //using Serial   = Genode::Pl011_uart;
        using Serial   = Genode::Mini_uart;

    Selecting UART driver is an interesting example as RPI3B+ has two
    UART devices and which one is available is decided by using proper
    configuration for firmware (mini uart is available by default and
    Pl011 uart is used internally for communcation with Bluetooth but it
    can be changed with configuration before starting operating system).

Now questions:

 1. Do you (Genode) plan to have or would like to have such configurable
    support for different ARM devices?

 2. Do you think that creating generic platform driver for ARM (to
    support A) that work using informations provided by device tree
    support is generally a good idea? What alternatives you consider
    better?

 3. Do you see any way to implement suport for B?

I'd very much like to receive some comments about it.

--
Tomasz Gajewski

[1] https://github.com/tomga/genode/tree/rpi3bplus
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#Specifications