Roadmap 2019

John J. Karcher devuser at alternateapproach.com
Thu Jan 10 20:39:40 CET 2019

On 1/3/19 6:52 AM, Norman Feske wrote:

 > Hi Cedric,

[snip]

> Third, I'm quite eager to further explore the potential of
> multi-component GUI applications where the (complex and fragile) widget
> rendering is sandboxed and completely isolated from the application
> logic. The underlying design principle is currently employed be Genode's
> custom window manager and the menu-view-based applications (i.e., the
> Leitzentrale of Sculpt). Right now, the implementation of such
> applications is quite unusual (if not to say awkward). But maybe the
> "librarization" of init as requested by Ben would make this approach
> feasible for a broader use? Now that I'm writing this paragraph, I feel
> that this topic deserves some coverage at genodians.org ;-)

Yes, please elaborate on the current situation as well as your thoughts
on improving it.

Am I correct to infer that this would also make it easier to add
different front-ends to the same "application"?

> Maybe we even find that a combination of these approaches is beneficial?
>
> Another area of experimentation is the secure exchange of date between
> applications (copy-and-paste, drag-and-drop).

Please share your thoughts on this also.

For instance, the VirtualBox Guest Additions have a Shared Clipboard
feature.  I assumed that this might have to be a Qt-only feature, but if
there is a system-wide clipboard, that would be much better.

> I'm very curious towards your planned line of work. The prospect of
> bringing both projects Haiku and Genode together is very cool!

I'll be closely following this also!

--
  John J. Karcher
  devuser at alternateapproach.com