Error: hammer ABI contains Genode-internal symbol '__bss_start'

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Thu Jan 10 11:04:49 CET 2019

Hello,

> The abi_symbols tool is just a handy utility to generate a list of
> potential ABI symbols, which must be manually amended/checked.

I wonder, should we consider adding a black list of known Genode symbols
to the abi_symbols tool? This would make the tool a bit more convenient.
On the other hand, it may foster the (wrong) expectation that the output
of the tool *is* an ABI as is. In practice, the manual curing step is
important. E.g., symbols of library-internal interfaces should be
removed. This step needs a human brain.

Given Guido's question, we should definitely enhance the documentation
about using the abi_symbols tool. Since Guido referred to the porting
guide, would that document be a suitable place?