Roadmap 2019

Martin Stein martin.stein at genode-labs.com
Fri Jan 4 10:39:10 CET 2019

Hi guys,

It's very interesting and motivating to read all your ideas regarding
the Roadmap 2019 and see the enthusiasm spread throughout the community!
So, here's what I came up with:

Implementation

* I'm currently experimenting with SPARK on Genode and really like to go
deeper into if, and if yes, how and where SPARK could be beneficial in
Genodes main repositories.

Testing

* Doing nightly tests with Sculpt
* More starvation/resource-leak/bad-client tests for critical servers

Documentation

* Finding native speakers to translate the Wikipedia article to further
languages

* IMO it's an issue that not every component brings a _comprehensive_
README with information like the whole user interface description, a
complete list of services needed and provided and real-live examples.

* Furthermore, I would suggest the integration of a mechanism in the
Sculpt component graph that lets you access a README for a specific
component with merely one click. I know there's the foundations book but
I have the feeling that this inline help would be much more convenient
in a lot of cases.

* It would be nice to have some info in the READMEs more systematic,
like config attributes (XML Schemes) or services required/provided. This
information could be used by development tools to support programmers as
well as in the integration tools like the component graph to guide users.

* To address a point that Tomasz brought in regarding working/tested
documentation: How about also giving information about that in a
systematic way in READMEs? This way, in systems like Sculpt we could,
for instance, mark software according to its development state when
listed in the package manager or in the "Add"-menu of the component
graph. It would also enable filtering software lists and thereby ease,
for instance, browsing software cross-platform.

* I really like the idea of genodians.org and think we should definitely
keep trying to connect more an more Genode-related media maintained by
users to give them a kickoff in tooling and publicity.

Development

* I strongly share Normans feelings about the importance of the SDK and
a way to browse/install software conveniently in Sculpt.

Cheers,
Martin