Announcement: Genode OS Framework version 19.02 released

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Thu Feb 28 14:25:54 CET 2019

Hello everyone,

I'm proud to announce the release of Genode 19.02! This first release of
the year already shows our commitment to our road-map's leitmotif for
2019 - making Genode relevant and attractive for a broader community.
On that account, it features the "community experience" (CE) revision of
Sculpt OS with an interactive way of discovering, installing, and
deploying components provided by different software providers.

Sculpt CE and the just announced Genodians.org blogging platform are
supposed to work in tandem: Developers become able to promote new
software by posting articles to Genodians.org. For Sculpt users, the
software discovered at the website is just a few clicks away. The user
does not need to trust the software provider because the interaction of
the downloaded software with the Sculpt system is completely under the
control of the user. This way, Sculpt becomes a rather playful and fun
experience.

Regarding our ambition to increase the utility value of Genode, the
release features our port of OpenJDK with just-in-time compilation
enabled for both ARM and 64-bit x86. The use of Java on an embedded
platform is showcased by an exemplary system scenario called Boot2Java.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. For the full story, please have a
look at the release documentation:

  https://genode.org/documentation/release-notes/19.02

A short summary of the highlights:

- Sculpt OS with federated software provisioning
- Showcase of a Java-based IoT network appliance (Boot2Java)
- Showcase for a component-based web service (Genodians.org)
- OpenJDK with JIT on 32-bit ARM and 64-bit x86
- Improved Ada and SPARK support, including AUnit
- Initial support for the OCaml programming language
- Removal of deprecated APIs
- API-safety improvements
- Support of i.MX6 Quad Sabrelite and Nitrogen6 SoloX

Have fun with exploring the new version!