Is anyone else running seL4 on the iMX.6 sabrelite?

Pirmin Duss pirmin.duss at gapfruit.com
Mon Apr 8 07:18:21 CEST 2019

Hi Joel,

I'm using sel4 and HW on an SoM that is similar to the i.MX6 sabrelite.

If you have already a u-boot that is running (in EMMC or something similar), then u-boot should be able to boot from any
partition that has a known file system on it (fat, extX, etc. depending of how it was built). Just put the file in the
file system.
I didn't use this method, and am unfortunately not able to tell you how you have to set your bootcmd variable for u-boot.

To boot the genode.img u-boot needs the command bootelf to be compiled in to u-boot. Alternatively you may boot a uImage
(u-boot command is bootm), if your u-boot doesn't support bootelf. For this you have to add the following to your
etc/build.conf
  RUN_OPT += --include image/uboot

For me the easiest way to test images on the i.MX6 is to start an uImage it via tftpboot. For this you add the following
to your etc/build.conf
  RUN_OPT += --include load/tftp --load-tftp-base-dir <tftp-server-root>

Obviously you need a TFTP server on your development machine. Set the bootcmd variable to "tftpboot 0x12200000 uImage &&
bootm".

If you add
 RUN_OPT += --include log/serial --log-serial-cmd "picocom -b 115200 /dev/ttyUSB0"
to your etc/build.conf, the serial output of the i.MX6 is immediately visible in the console you execute make in.

To the sel4 kernel, I have to say, beware of the (hidden) dragons!
 - I did need to thinker around with the source of the kernel itself, to be able to use the full 1GiB of memory the
board has.
 - returning IRQs back to the kernel isn't possible, so disconnecting a client from the SD-Card driver and connect an
other isn't possible.
 - and probably more I don't remember currently.

I hope I could help you, feel free to ask if something isn't clear.

Bset regards
Primin