A Few Quick Thoughts On Sculpt VC

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Thu Sep 13 12:39:47 CEST 2018

Hi John,

thank you for the nice feedback. It's appreciated.

> Is there a reason why the Inspect window is not always open?  I find it
> handy for working with the "in-memory config", even without using the
> storage devices.

I am not perfectly happy with the current solution either. In the longer
term, I'd like to remove the noux-based inspect window altogether,
replacing it with a very simple mechanism for browsing a file system and
editing files - just as last resort to repair things. This way, we avoid
the association of Sculpt with Unix (and the many wrong expectation that
user may have). It also would help to further reduce the size of the
boot image.

My general direction is to gradually move the user interface into the
graph. E.g., the storage operations could be presented inside the node
of a block service when selected. So we can - step by step - make the
graph the primary (and eventually the only) means for user interaction
with Sculpt's Leitzentrale. But there is still a long way to go.

Right now switching between the runtime view and inspect window is
possible with clicking on the "Storage" or "Runtime" sections of the
menu. I agree that this is not very intuitive, but in my opinion, it is
good enough for a stop-gap solution. ;-)

BTW, the same goes for the log view. Right now, it is somehow useful to
have. But in the future, this noise should be removed from Sculpt's user
experience.