First steps with Sculpt on Dell XPS 13

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at genode-labs.com
Thu Sep 6 11:13:57 CEST 2018

Hello Roman,

I like your delightful Sculpt story ;-)

On Wed, Sep 05, 2018 at 06:51:07PM +0200, Roman Iten wrote:
> 2. On Sculpt, most/all? internal displays report only their native
> resolution. On the XPS this is 3200 x 1800 and I can't force a lower
> resolution. Although under Linux, xrandr reports a bunch of supported
> resolutions from 3200 x 1800 down to 640 x 360. Does the intel_fb_drv
> under Genode intentionally reports and supports only the native resolution?

>From my experience current laptop panels do not support display
resolutions beyond the factory setting. The illusion of a range of
display resolutions provided by the Linux drivers (and also the
VGABIOS) is implemented by setting up some hardware scaler which
converts the pixels from the used resolution to the native one. Our
driver port does not initialize this feature yet.

> 4. Instead of installing Sculpt directly on my current laptop I consider
> to buy a new XPS 13 (9370). It has a Killer 1435 wireless module
> featuring a Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174A chip which seems to be supported
> on Linux by the ath10k module... Has someone any experience (or
> assumptions) whether there's a chance that it will work on Sculpt (right
> now or in the near future)?

We had an offline discussion about this topic some weeks ago and as
far as I can remember the effort to enable ath10k should be
reasonable. This does not mean its quite some work esp. on the
debugging side if the added driver's requirements exceed the currently
provided emulation environment. Maybe you can join forces with Hinnerk
in the debugging phase at least. Please feel free to open a feature
issue on GitHub for the developments as I'm aware of at least one
other potential user (who's not me).

Greets
--
Christian Helmuth