Memory Page Fault

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at genode-labs.com
Thu May 31 16:57:06 CEST 2018

Hello Chris,

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 12:11:03PM -0400, Chris Rothrock wrote:
> Working with our developers for SABLE, we branched a build of SABLE for one
> purpose - to NOT run the AMD skinit instruction before handing off boot to
> NOVA/Genode.  Using this build of SABLE we are able to get a successful
> boot to the demo.
>
> At this stage, it seems that something fundamental changed within Genode
> and/or NOVA (and I have also seen this with Genode/seL4 demo) that causes
> the memory fault to occur on AMD platforms ONLY when the skinit instruction
> is performed prior to boot hand-off.  Is this a point where we can dig a
> little deeper to understand where this problem is occurring?

Your issue description suggests you have the perfect "git bisect"
situation: an old source-code revision where it seems to work and a
new revision that shows an issue. Therefore, I recommend you try to
narrow down the time frame where the issue appears first by testing
different revisions of Genode with a minimalistic scenario like "make
run/log".

>From our side I can't promise any practical contribution as the
current release works pretty stable on our test hardware (admittedly
Intel not AMD) and we don't have access to SABLE.

Christian Helmuth
Genode Labs

https://www.genode-labs.com/ · https://genode.org/