Question about long IPC implementation in Genode implementation

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Thu Mar 29 20:00:14 CEST 2018

Hello,

On 27.03.2018 16:10, yu000013 wrote:
> I'm currently doing tests of IPC on different microkernels using Genode
> framework.
>
> I'm wondering whether there're any long IPC implementation  inside the
> framework that I can make use of.

the concept of long IPC was abandoned by all modern L4-like microkernels
many years ago. The paper "From L3 to seL4 What Have We Learnt in 20
Years of L4 Microkernels?" [1] presents the line of thoughts behind this
decision.

Regarding inter-process communication on Genode, there is much more to
it than synchronous IPC. Please refer to Section 3.6. "Inter-component
communication" of the Genode Foundations book [2] to get a more complete
picture.

[1] http://sigops.org/sosp/sosp13/papers/p133-elphinstone.pdf
[2] http://genode.org/documentation/genode-foundations-17-05.pdf