RasPi 3 build problem

Mon Mar 5 14:11:02 CET 2018

On Mon, Mar 05, 2018 at 05:31:21AM -0700, Nobody III wrote:
> How much does the Raspberry Pi version actually matter? Aren't they almost
> entirely backward-compatible?

Maybe, from a user-level perspective it does not matter, because you can run
the Raspberry 3 in ARMv7 compatibility mode, and the GPIO pins might
be the same and so on. From a system developer perspective it actually
differs a lot. Raspberry Pi 1 has an ARMv6 based SoC, Raspberry Pi 2
ARMv7, and Raspberry Pi 3 ARMv8. Broadcom might re-use the same ip cores
with its different SoCs, but there will be differences in MMIO
addresses, interrupt numbers, RAM addresses and sizes, system-level
registers, and so on.

You might try to use a Linux kernel from the time it was initially ported to
run on Raspberry Pi 1, and try to execute the same binary on the Rpi
3.

Regards
Stefan